Summer is here and the invitations are already arriving. I'm talking about the casual summer parties we all get invited to. The whole idea of these parties is they're supposed to be simple, so they're usually potluck parties and they're usually outdoors. This combination does make the host's job easier because I good bit of the cooking is handled by the guests and clean up is usually easier too. In fact I've been known to throw all the plates in the pool and leave them til morning. Which is why I find these events so stress free as a host. But as a guest I' like things to go just as smoothly so I can usually be counted on to bring the simplest dish I can. I'm talking about the Pot Luck Salad.

The Pot Luck Salad is different from other salads because the best of them (in my mind) are not green salads. If I'm invited to someone's house and I'm only responsible for one dish on the buffet then I want it to be special. Perhaps something colorful. Maybe I'll feature an unusual or special ingredient. But mostly I want to be sure that my Potluck Salad is full of fresh interesting flavors.

There are other factors to consider when planning that special Potluck Salad. It should hold up well – both on the way and on the table. You always want to make sure there's plenty to go around. These events usually draw a crowd.

I've chosen an Orzo and Roasted Carrots Salad. However, there are plenty of other great options. Just make sure to build the salad around sturdy ingredients like grains, legumes and boldly colored vegetables. If there's cooking involved make sure it can all be done in advance. Your host planned a simple outdoor get together because he or she wanted the guests to be outdoors – not in the kitchen. Though I think it's fine to bring the dressing any any fresh herbs are garnishes packed in separate containers. A little last minute plating shouldn't upset the equilibrium too much.

Oh yeah and don't forget to serve you Pot Luck Salad on chlorine proof platters if you're attending a pool party at my house. GREG