Have you ever eaten dinner for breakfast? No I don't mean breakfast for dinner (what some people call brinner). I mean have you ever started the day with a meal you'd typically eat in the evening? Something like soup. Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day. To me that means we should eat our favorite food at breakfast. Soup is one of my favorite foods. It's time we freed breakfast, and even soup, from the shackles of convention. Think about it: we're totally cool with eggs and bacon for dinner. Pancakes and waffles too, so why not try it the other way around? What about dinner for breakfast. This Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs will inject a little dinnertime into your morning routine.

It's not such an unusual idea. If you've ever eaten a cold slice of pizza for breakfast, then you know what I'm talking about. Of course standing at the fridge (with the door wide open) scarfing down leftover cheesy-carbs may be a time-tested hangover cure, but it's not quite the sort of "bring on the day" meal I'm talking about.

So what am I talking about? Well, I often eat avocado toast for breakfast. Avocado toast is an entry-level breakfast for dinner. It's a meal that can help you get comfortable with the concept. After all toast in the morning isn't too out of the ordinary. So try replacing your sweet jam with something savory like avocado. Suddenly your morning toast becomes fancy dinner party food: a crostini or a tartine. La-Dee-Dah.

There are other dinner foods that we should be embracing for breakfast. Some of them will take some getting used too. I like fried chicken for breakfast. Of course I like fried chicken at any meal.

Still, there are plenty of foods we consider dinner in our part of the world that make regular appearances at breakfast tables around the world.

[post id="20220" name="Signal Ridge Bubbles NV" ]

Big bowls of noodles often start the day in Eastern cultures. The spicy-salty-savory flavor profile will kick-start the day in any language. So why not take the noodle thing one step further? How about a big plate of pasta to break the fast? Pasta Carbonara has carbohydrates, bacon, eggs, and cheese (sound familiar?).

Rice and beans is a common breakfast in Latin America. Nutritionally speaking rice and beans pack a punch. Meaning this metabolism booster is a powerful example of dinner for breakfast. But it's still not what I mean.

Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs

I mean soup. Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs. Soup is the ultimate dinner food. Soup starts dinner parties all over the world– but have you ever started the day with soup as your morning meal? I think it's a good idea.

Miso soup is a popular breakfast in Japan, so I can't take credit for the idea in general. But I do like the concept, and I believe Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs could make the first meal of the day the best meal of the day. Its flavors and textures are perfect with a little bubbly too. This soup, paired with a bottle of Anderson Valley Signal Ridge Bubbles, could take your next brunch party out of its boring box. I was even tempted to lay a couple slices of bacon on top. How brunch is that? In the end I decided morel mushrooms in the broth added just the right whiff of umami to get the day started in style. GREG

Springtime Asparagus Soup with Fried Eggs