Burrata with tomatoes. Burrata with plums. Burrata with figs, or peaches, or melon… You get the idea, the phrase "burrata with" is a great way to start a dinner party. A summer dinner party from the sound of things. That's because burrata brings a light, creamy note that pairs well with bright, summery flavors like tomatoes, plums, figs, peaches, and melon. However burrata compliments rich, caramelized autumn vegetables as well. Here it brings a sophisticated crowning touch to the warm flavors in this Chanterelle Mushroom and Butternut Squash Tart.

This tart makes the most of the season. And I credit Michael Chiarello for getting me to consider burrata as a suitable partner for this seasonal pairing of warm flavors. He serves roasted butternut squash with mushrooms and burrata. He even recommends it as a simple appetizer for a Thanksgiving dinner.

This tart makes the most of the season. And I credit Michael Chiarello for getting me to consider burrata as a suitable partner for this seasonal pairing of warm flavors. He serves an artfully arranged pile of roasted butternut squash with burrata and recommends it as a simple appetizer for a Thanksgiving dinner.

Butternut Squash HalvesChanterelle Mushroom and Butternut Squash Tart with BurrataWhich sounds delicious, and his passionate description is all the inspiration I need to transform his words into a Butternut Squash Tart that has my style written all over it.
Which sounds delicious, and his passionate description is all the inspiration I needed to transform his words into a Butternut Squash Tart that has my style written all over it.

I know plenty of cooks who go straight to the recipes when they pick up a cook book or visit a blog. My guess is these people are far better cooks than I. These are probably the same people who like to read HTML code. The kind of people who can look at information subjectively and understand it thoroughly. Well, I need more flourish than that. A well written recipe is a joy to read, but it's not usually the inspiration I'm looking for. For me, the best food writing stays with you far longer than any list of ingredients ever could. Burrata with fall flavors is an example of this. I remember Mr. Chiarella's description of his recipe more than I remember the recipe itself. Fortunately that description is more than enough to to inspire this tart. GREG

Chanterelle Mushroom and Butternut Squash Tart with Burrata