Friday, May 15, 2015

Cape to India Restaurant, Gatesville, Cape Town

Cape to India Restaurant, Gatesville, Cape Town


Cape to India Restaurant, Gatesville, Cape Town

Posted: 14 May 2015 01:34 PM PDT


I found myself in Gatesville this week braving the craziness that is Osman's Spice Shop. Anyone who has ventured that way will know the challenge it presents. The tiny store with it's narrow aisles is always busy even on quiet weekday mornings. The smells of spices is thick and the jostling for space can get quite intense. But for the sake of my Mum, who always gets her spices and baking goods for her home and business, we braved the madness. I once went there just before Ramadaan, and it was like being at a packed concert shoulder to shoulder with throngs of people inching ahead one step at a time. Never, and I mean never make the mistake of forgetting something and have to back-track to find it. It's like starting from scratch.

An hour later we emerged to find ourselves ravenous and ready for lunch. There are so many places in Gatesville and Rylands, which is the largest Indian area in Cape Town, to get something to eat so we were spoiled for choice. Being close to Gatesville Medical Centre, we decided to try a Bangladeshi place very nearby. I had once bought some take-outs from Cape to India and was very happy with the food. So this time we decided to try out the restaurant itself.

The location is right behind Gatesville Medical Centre, in the hub of the shopping district. Parking is somewhat limited and I had to circle a bit before I found a spot. It's a very simple, no frills kind of place. It makes me think of homely restaurants I can remember from my trip to India when I was little. On the outside you might miss the Cape to India signage but there is a big sign above it that says Bismillah Restaurant. They are part of a group that goes by that name. The tables are already set, glasses and cutlery ready and plates overturned as if they've been expecting you to pop in. There's always several young Bangladeshi guys hanging around the counter and while it looks very casual and laid back they're always quick to tend to you.
Read more »

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the complete pair of things, Seriously considered actually appreciated, I would like more details. with this, contemplating it is relatively respectable., Thank you a whole lot when it comes to exhibiting. Online Cooking Oil

    ReplyDelete