Thursday, January 29, 2015

Texas Beef Chili, Chili Con Queso and More Game Day Favorites...


With tender chunks of beef enveloped in a deep, spicy and smoky sauce, Texas beef chili is like a chili-flavored beef stew. It's a world apart from the standard ground beef chili made with beans and tomatoes. I can't claim this version is authentic -- I've never even been to Texas -- but it is immensely satisfying, and everything I imagine the ultimate Texas beef chili to be. The recipe requires over an hour of prep and active cook time, plus several hours to simmer on the stove so it's best to make it on a lazy weekend. You might also consider doubling the recipe; you can freeze some for another night (you'll be so glad you did) or use leftovers for tacos, burritos or topping rice or baked potatoes. For a delicious side, try Cornbread Muffins or the Chili con Queso below.


At least once a week, my kids beg me to pick up take-out from their favorite Mexican restaurant. I usually say no because the restaurant is clear across town, and driving there is more trouble than actually making dinner. Plus, I never understand what's so special about this place; they order the most ordinary cheese quesadillas. They claim it's all about the queso, which comes on the side with tortilla chips. I have tried several times to recreate this extraordinary queso (which, by the way, I suspect is made by melting a giant block of Velveeta-like processed cheese) but the verdict is always the same: "too fancy." Finally, I came up with this version that suits them and suits me. It's rich, creamy, a little spicy -- and dangerously addictive served warm with tortilla chips. I might even drive out of my way for it ;) 

 


 
 





Like us on Facebook    Find us on Pinterest
Forward this email



This email was sent to nafeeskhan1.hungertime234@blogger.com by jennifer@onceuponachef.com |  


Once Upon a Chef | PO Box 60664 | Potomac | MD | 20859

No comments:

Post a Comment